Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Scribble Lace Moss Scarf

Scribble Lace Moss Scarf

I have been wanting to try Scribble Lace knitting for quite awhile now. Debbie New, author of Unexpected Knitting is credited with it's unique design. It is a funky knit concept using a very thin yarn combined with a chunky yarn which creates a scribbly lace effect. There is a pattern for it in the Mason Dixon Knitting book and a free pattern called Loopy & Luscious by Natalie Wilson on http://www.knitty.com/.


I had the perfect yarns in my yarn stash for this scarf project. Colinette Point 5 is a thick chunky pure wool yarn from Wales and Rowan's Kidsilk Haze is a super fine thin yarn from England. They are a perfect combination for scribble lace knitting.

Scribble Lace is a very easy basic knit/pearl pattern. I knew it would be a perfect travel project for our trip to Newport, Oregon. I selected the yarn colors to make my Mother a scarf. She loves mossy green.

Moss Rock at Newport Beach, Oregon

I named the scarf the Scribble Lace Moss Scarf because it looks so much like the mossy green rocks that I saw on the beach at Newport, OR. The finished scarf also resembles the fishing nets that I saw all over Newport's bayside buildings, too.

I modified two patterns to make my scarf from one skein of each yarn. I used #15 needles and did a 27 stitch cast on. My scarf turned out to be 8" by 60". I added 11" fringe in the Colinette Point 5 yarn. I am going to add some beads to the fringe to give it a "hippie" look!

My Mother loves it!

No comments: