Monday, July 7, 2008

Moroccan Mint Tea at the Mo Tearoom

Moroccan Mint Tea

I love having tea in England. No matter where I am travelling in England, you can be sure I am checking out that town's tea rooms! On our last London trip (2006) I read about a North African tea room where they serve Moroccan Mint Tea. I wanted to experience it made properly so I could later make it at home.
So one day during a shopping break we ventured over to the Mo Tearoom just off Regent Street. It is part of a wonderful exotic restaurant called MoMo's. The inside is decorated to look like a Moroccan souk (open air marketplace) with ornate lanterns, exotic carpets, low stools and brass tables. I was ready to experience tea in a new way!

Making Mint Tea for the Silver Pot

I ordered a pot of mint tea. Our server came back with an ornate traditional silver Moroccan tea pot. She then lifts the tea pot high into the air and pours the tea into my small Moroccan glass. It was quite a show! The tea was delicious! I now make it at home regularly. You must use Chinese gunpowder loose tea to make it authentic!

Here is my recipe for Moroccan Mint Tea:

1 T. loose Chinese Gunpowder Tea
2 small bunches fresh mint leaves
1/3 to 1/2 C. sugar
5 cups boiling water
Combine tea and 5 cups boiling water in your tea pot. Steep for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add mint leaves and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Steep another 3 minutes. Stain tea and serve immediately or chill for iced mint tea.

Traditionally Moroccan mint tea is served hot and it is customary to drink at least two glasses as to not offend your host.  It is one of my favorite teas to enjoy iced in the summertime.

MoMo Tea Room

25 Heddon St.London
MoMo's has become one of London's hippest resturants and tea rooms.
Check them out at http://momoresto.com/

1 comment:

Vero M said...

Lisette;,

How funny, we both are moroccan tea fan !! I made a post about mint tea in june as I was just back from marrakech. How lovely !!!

Veronique in France