Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tea Leaves

Tea Leaf Cookies

Blend fine black tea with oil of bergamot and you have one of my favorite tea blends...Earl Grey.  I've never met a "cuppa" Earl Grey that I didn't like.

Earl Grey is an old tea blend that has been around since the 1830's.  There's a new twist on Earl Grey today...it's popping up in chocolates, macarons, cakes and cookies. 

Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies

Recently I was tea shopping at The Pasta Shop in Berkeley and I spotted these cute little Earl Grey tea leaf shape cookies.  These gourmet short bread cookies are made by Tea Aura.  They actually have Earl Grey tea leaves and bergamot oil in them. 

To be honest, the tea leaf cookies disappointed me.  The cookies lacked that distinctive Earl Grey flavor and seemed a bit chalky to me. 

My remedy is to try my hand at making my own Earl Grey Tea Cookies. 

Here's a link for a recipe I found from Real Simple Magazine for Earl Grey Tea Cookies and another for Martha Stewart's Earl Grey Tea Cookies.  I think I'll try Martha's recipe first since you add orange zest for more bergamot citrus flavor!

I hope to make a batch soon!

1 comment:

Annemieke said...

I am available any time you need a taste tester.