Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Truly Great Scones

 Tea & Scone, please!

  I've been searching for a truly great scone recipe...
like the scones I've had in England. 

British Style Scones

Whether at a fancy hotel tea or an adorable tea and cake shop...
scones always taste better in England. 

Some scones are dense and some are lighter. 
One thing is certain...
load them up with clotted cream and jam and
they're always delicious!

 Proper Scone Height

On my trip to England in May,
I had some of the best scones I've ever had. 
Ever since that trip,  I've been on a mission to find a truly great scone recipe
to make British-style scones at home. 

I'm happy to report that I've found a truly great scone recipe from, Delia Smith.  
Delia is the UK"s best-selling cookery author so I knew her scone recipe would be good. 

The best tip I learned from Delia is to roll the scone dough out to 1 inch thickness. 
 According to Delia "this is the secret of well-risen scones.  Measure it if you're not sure." 

So I followed Delia's recipe (to a tee), measured my dough and ended up
with truly great scones!

Truly Great Scones

I love Delia's recipe
taken from her book Delia's How to Cook,  Book Two (1999).
 Luckily for you, you can find it on her website Delia Online

I just call them Truly Great Scones! 


(In the photos:  Emma Bridgewater Union Jack tea pot, plate, mug and comport.  Sabre Toile spreader.)

1 comment:

FunkySteph said...

Hello,
I have discovered your blog recently. Thanks for the tip for the scones, I hope my next ones will look better ;-)