Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Bake a Cake

 Lemon Drizzle Cake

Did you know that last Sunday was World Baking Day?   Had I been home last weekend, I certainly would have baked a cake!  I love this campaign which is all baking someone a cake to show them how much you care.  How sweet is that?  

Delia Smith's Cakes

After traveling across the pond for many years now, I've discovered just how much the British love their yummy cakes.  I now enjoy replicating British scones and cakes at home.  

My favorite British cake book is the revised and updated, Delia Smith's Cakes.  Delia is the UK's best selling cookery author.  She also has a wonderful online cookery school.  I just love watching her videos to learn baking tips and techniques.  And she has the most lovely British accent!  

 Delia's Double Lemon Drizzle Cake

The first cake I've made from Delia's Cakes book is her Double Lemon Drizzle Cake.  The recipe has poppy seeds which I've omitted when I've made it.

According to Delia:
 "This is the definitive Lemon Drizzle cake, and we have used four lemons.  There's almost as much drizzle as cake, so after you bite though the crunchy crust it is very lemony and syrupy inside."

More Cake, Please

Baking someone a cake is a brilliant way to show them how much you care.  If you're looking for a delicious and easy cake to make, I say, "make them a Double Lemon Drizzle Cake!"

If you're an American baker like me, to convert Delia's UK recipe, you'll need:
 a scale to measure ingredients and an 8" round cake tin (pan) which you'll grease and line with parchment paper.  I use a Wilton aluminum 8" x 2" round cake pan.  I bake the cake at 325F in the center of my oven for about 40 minutes or until the cake feels springy.

So, when was the last time you had a piece of homemade cake?   Well, here you go...
here's the link for Delia's recipe:
  Double Lemon Drizzle Cake with Poppy Seeds


(In the photos:  Royal Winton Richmond chintz plate and vintage National Silverplate fork.)

No comments: