Thursday, July 14, 2016

Clafoutis #trois

 Peach Clafoutis

It's Bastille Day and to honor my French heritage I like to make or bake something French on this French national holiday.  Last year on Bastille Day, I made a clafoutis (for the first time) with mixed berries and we loved it.  

 Freestone peaches

So this year for Bastille Day, I decided to make a clafoutis again.  I just love this simple and rustic dessert which couldn't be easier to make!

Julia Child describes the clafoutis perfectly in Mastering the Art of French Cooking:
  "The clafoutis is peasant cooking for family meals, and about as simple a desert to make as you can imagine:  a pancake batter poured over fruit in a fireproof dish, then baked in the oven.  It looks like a tart, and is usually eaten warm."

This is my third time (#trois) making clafoutis and I chose peaches this time for my fruit since they are in peak season right now in the Yuba-Sutter area where we live.  I buy my peaches direct from the grower Sodaro Orchards at their farm stand.  Their freestone peaches are at perfection right now!

Peach Clafoutis Recipe

As for clafoutis recipes, I use a recipe that I adapted from Chef Daniel Boulud from a video where he made clafoutis.  Here is the video link to inspire you to make your own:  Maison Boulud's Clafoutis

And here is my printable version of my adapted recipe:  Clafoutis

Happy Bastille Day
and 
Vive la France!


(In the photos:  Apilco Quiche Dish purchased at Williams Sonoma)

No comments: